Saturday, 26 July 2008

no-knead wholemeal pizza base


Lately I've found that I'm becoming increasingly domesticated in the kitchen, much to the delight of my husband. In a day where we can buy anything ready-made that our hearts desire, I strangely feel compelled to rebel and master the art of making things from scratch. When I came across a recipe for a no-knead pizza base, I knew I had found my first challenge. I'm not into kneading so much, so this recipe was a winner straight up. To be fair, I haven't made any other pizza base recipe to compare this to, but I'm pleased with these results. It doesn't take much effort, but you do need to be organised enough to mix up the dough the night before.


I used completely wholemeal flour here in an attempt to be a bit healthy, and it turned out great. Not too dense at all. I have recorded the original recipe here, but adapt the flour to suit your tastes.


No-Knead Wholemeal Pizza
Makes 2 large pizza bases

2 cups white flour
1 cup wholemeal flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon honey
2/3 teaspoon dried active yeast
400ml water

1. Mix all ingredients in a large bowl (it will be quite wet). Leave in a warm spot on the bench for between 12 and 24 hours.

2. Oil the baking trays and your hands. Split the dough in two, and spread out the dough onto the oiled trays. Leave on the bench for an extra hour or two.

3. Bake in a hot oven for 10 minutes or until the bases begin to change colour. Remove from the oven and spread with your desired toppings, then return to the oven until the cheese is melted, around 10 minutes.

Recipe from NZ Gardener Homegrown 2: Live off your land for less.

2 Comentários:

Barbara said...

Hi Rebecca - Nice to see an Auckland blog. Pity I no longer live there. Welcome to blogger. I'm sure you will love meeting all the other food bloggers opnline and forming fabulous friendships

Andrew and Alice Brown said...

That pizza recipe looks pretty good! I love making my own bases, and it's awesome to see someone else use wholemeal flour too!

the goodness of creating © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO