Sunday, 11 May 2008

auckland farmer's market

We went to the Auckland Farmer's Market today for the first time in ages. Now I remember why we used to go every week. The variety and quality of their produce is amazing compared to the supermarket. They have some pretty good deals too. Plus, they let you sample everything! It's definitely not more expensive, despite what some people think. It has an awesome community feel too, which is rare in a big city like Auckland. There's a few farmer's markets around the place now, so you don't have to travel that far to get a dose of fresh goodness. Find the one closest to you.

Check out what we bought for around $10: a bag of lemons, half a kilo of Urenika Maori potatoes (I found out that Urenika means 'black man's appendage', but don't let that put you off!!), 2 huge feijoas, and 3 persimmons (we had eaten one by the time I took the photo). We had to restrain from buying naughty French pastries to eat for second breakfast!

These Maori potatoes are incredible. They have way more antioxidants, I think because of the rich purple colour, but they taste the same as white potatoes. My purple dragon carrots are pretty much ready for harvest, so I'm planning a colourful purple dinner for when we have people for dinner this week. Hopefully I can sneak a photo of it before we eat to post. How good is food!

Today was a day of firsts for me. I tried my first persimmon - delicious! - and watched Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure for the first time. A bit lame perhaps, but good times on a sleepy Sunday afternoon. Life is most excellent!

Seja o primeiro a comentar

the goodness of creating © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO