Tuesday, 6 May 2008

a lemony obsession

I wouldn't be at all surprised if my skin began to turn a shade of lemony yellow. About two weeks ago I made lemon curd and I've been permanently attached to it ever since! This stuff is so good and way better than the shop bought stuff. Let me share this obsession with you. Below is a typical snack for me at the moment: lemon curd on grainy toast, and of course a large cup of earl grey.


This recipe is extremely simple. Zesting and juicing the lemons is about the most strenuous part. Most recipes call for it to be made over a double boiler, but is way quicker in the microwave and just as yummy. I've adapted this recipe to my taste from a couple of internet recipes.

Microwave Lemon Curd

1 cup white sugar
3 eggs
3 lemons - zest and juice
1/2 cup butter, melted

1. Choose a large microwave-safe bowl and thoroughly whisk together the sugar and eggs. Stir in the lemon zest and juice until completely mixed through. Add the butter to the mixture slowly but surely, slowly whisking it all together.

2. Cook on High for 1 minute intervals, stirring after each minute. A necessary step to avoid creating very lemony scrambled eggs. Could be alright? I don't know, but I think I would rather have lemon curd myself. Repeat until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon, and resembles a creamy velvety consistency. It will thicken further as it cools.

3. Remove and pour into hot sterilised jars (leave jars and lids in a big pot of boiling water for 10 mins). The lemon curd will keep in the fridge for about 3 weeks. Yummy! This recipe should make around 3 cups I think.

If you're a bit lost for uses for lemon curd, simply fill a sweet pastry case (or mini ones) with lemon curd and drizzle with choc sauce or top with berries and serve chilled for an amazing dessert in a minute. Or, do as I did, and use it as a filling for vanilla cupcakes. I also made mini cupcakes and used it as a glaze. Man I'm hungry now - gotta go have me some lemon curd!


2 Comentários:

city said...

i LOVE lemon curd but I have to say I've been too lazy to make my own. I usually rely on scoring some of my Mum's but she's been on a Feijoa jam kick lately. That recipe looks so easy, I'm going to give it a go :-) Awesome blog by the way, I'll definitely be back!

Abby said...

good looking cake! and welcome to the world of blogging - it's adictive...

the goodness of creating © 2008. Template by Dicas Blogger.

TOPO